Brooklyn's Gowanus neighborhood, 501 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Have you photographed weddings here before?
Yes, many times
Why do you recommend it?
Charm, quirk, ease, and all-around originality give this Gowanus venue high marks from all of us at Susan Stripling Photography!
- The unique ceremony space: with all of the bright light, you can really bring the outside inside. The natural light is incredible. It's 1,400 sq feet AND covered from the elements. I especially love the seasonal plantings and the massive wall of glass that opens right up to Union Street on one side and the reception ballroom on the other.
- Another note about the ceremony space: it's a wonderful rain plan. We know, you don't want to think about rain on your wedding day, but this is a GREAT backup plan that's also a spectacular MAIN plan. Not many NYC-area venues have great backup plans in case of inclement weather, and this indoor space is exceptional, rain or shine.
- The reception space itself is super unique. The custom-built 50 ft skylight gives the room an offbeat, bright touch while the dark walls retain the drama. There is ample room for dancing as well as dining. The n3,500 sq ft space is both spacious and intimate at the same time.
- The cocktail space is in a room of its' own, and it's gorgeous. The long bar makes it easy for guests to step up and grab a drink, and the decor is to die for. There is 1,400 sq ft of room for your guests and the 15 ft Carrara Marble top bar really adds a certain elegance to the space.
- Did I mention three separate spaces? The covered atrium can be used for ceremonies, cocktail hours, after-parties, and anything you need. Then there is the cocktail lounge and the spacious ballroom. They’ve been set up to allow guests to move easily between one space and another, something that is so hard to find in many NYC wedding venues.
- The location is vital. Easy to get to, great for portraits, it's a popular Brooklyn neighborhood for a reason!
- The staff. Everyone that we've worked with at 501 Union has been a gem, truly caring about clients and vendors alike.
- Their capacity is 144 for indoor ceremonies, 250 for standing cocktails, and 160 for seated receptions.
- Alcohol for the reception is provided in-house.
- They only book one wedding per day, something I personally find intimate and wonderful.
- Street parking is available for your guests, which is not something many city venues can say confidently! There is also a QuikPark garage that's about a five-minute walk away at 365 Bond Street. Should you like you can also hire a valet company for your guests.
From the 501 Union website:
Constructed in 1916, the building that houses 501 Union once served as a classic car restoration shop. It underwent restoration work in 2013, transforming it into the sleek wedding venue that couples know and love today. A wholesome place that invites people to come together and celebrate the moments that make life special, it is home to a selection of stylish rooms. Featuring eye-catching decor, the Lounge is an ideal setting for your loved ones to mix and mingle. You can exchange vows in the Covered Atrium, a delightful space adorned with flowing greenery. The Reception Hall can set the scene for your after-party, boasting trendy lighting, industrial-chic design details, and an expansive skylight.